If you’re looking for a promotion or a hefty pay raise in the New Year, the article “The 21 Most Valuable Career Skills” in the June 2016 edition of Money magazine spells out exactly how to achieve the goals you desire. As the writers discuss in the article, you can no longer be complacent in the fast growing job market if you want to get ahead. You have to possess the necessary skills that give you an edge over the competition and this article details what those skills are and what you can expect as the payoff. Money magazine and Payscale.com researched employees across many different industries and different job titles and have compiled an authoritative list of those skills with the best payoff for the work force today. These include the following general areas with more specific skills also included in the article:
- Making Sense of Big Data-If you can understand how to analyze and organize data for your employer, you will help them to understand and better serve their markets.
- Managing the Bottom Line-You don’t need to be an accountant, but it does help to understand what keeps the company afloat. Understanding the decisions that affect profitability and reading financial statements are important to your advancement.
- New Technology Skills-If you have expertise in newer areas, such as cloud computing for example, you may have a distinct advantage over the competition. Employers tend to favor those technical skills specific to their industry.
These are a few of the findings discussed in the article that may help you with the promotion or pay raise that you desire. Also included is advice on how to get those skills that you need to get ahead.
For more information, please see the June 2016 edition of Money magazine.
You can also access this article on the EBSCO database through the Plano Libraries. This is how to get there:
- go to planolibrary.org
- click on Research a Topic on the blue bar on the left
- select Research
- select Academic Search Premier and enter your library card number
- search Academic Search Complete for the article